Thursday, July 19, 2007

Musings On the Folly Jazz Series
















Joe Klopus of the Star did a fine job in his survey of the Folly Theater's forthcoming Jazz Series. I agree that it's refreshingly vibrant programming. That said, Doug Tatum of the Folly can't expect to retain many of the predominately older subscribers. He'll have to scramble to find a younger audience to replace them. Here's my take:

Joshua Redman is exactly the sort of artist that belongs in the jazz series. He's young, exciting, grounded in tradition but committed to moving the music forward. (October 26)

Bill Charlap is another inspired choice. I rave about the young pianist here. His is a quiet style; he'll be challenged to make his presence felt throughout the vast venue. (November 16)

I can't say that I'm a fan of vocalist Kurt Elling. His style always left me cold, an opinion that was confirmed when I saw him at the Green Mill in Chicago a few years ago. But that's just me. Elling is a fine showman. Unlike Charlap, he'll have no trouble keeping the Folly audience entertained. (December 14)

I'm not hip to Bobby Sanabria. But salsa and Latin jazz go over well at the Folly. I've seen great shows by Tito Puente and Poncho Sanchez at the 12th Street hall. (January 12)

The best concert I've seen in 2007 was Roy Hargrove at the Folly. It's unfair to ask fellow trumpeter Terell Stafford (pictured above) to match Hargrove's fire, but one can always hope. (February 29)

I'd never heard of Rachael Price. And after initial investigation, I didn't immediately fall in love with the vocalist's style. She's no Erin Bode. (March 28)

I'm pretty sure I've seen Monty Alexander perform at the Folly. (Or maybe it was at the Kansas City Blues & Jazz Festival.) He interprets Bob Marley songs on his latest album, so it'll be hard to go wrong with this show. (May 10)

(Image is not a Plastic Sax photograph.)

No comments: