Monday, March 2, 2009

The Smooth Jazz of AfterGroove
















Few formerly popular genres of music are more out of favor than smooth jazz. The style is derided by elitists and ignored by the masses.

It's never bothered me. I first realized smooth jazz was my friend when I witnessed a classmate's older sister gyrating to Mister Magic in the mid-'70s.

I even chose to spend part of Fat Tuesday checking out smooth jazz band AfterGroove at Jardine's. They focused on the staples- Grover Washington, Jr., Herbie Mann and the like.

It didn't matter that the excellent musicians have virtually no stage presence. They were smooth.

(Original image by Plastic Sax.)

2 comments:

WLIB said...

Here's to you, Bag, and your ridiculously huge (and smooth) tent!

Happy In Bag said...

All are welcome here, Lee.