Friday, July 16, 2010

Logan Richardson's America


Who says jazz doesn't pay? Kansas City native Logan Richardson performs in Spain this weekend. Italy is on the saxophonist's itinerary in August and September. Richardson also has many dates booked in his current base in New York. Alas, Kansas City is not listed on his schedule. This exceptional performance will make his hometown fans miss him all the more. Personal aside to Logan- I'm still hoping for that interview... (Video tip via Chris Burnett.)

2 comments:

Bob S. said...

As a side note about about the age of the jazz listening audience, I was recently at a gig of Logan's in NYC at Fat Cat. Of the 150+ people there, I (at age 40) was literally one of the oldest people there. The same was true a few days earlier at a Greg Glassman gig also at Fat Cat. I usually experience the reverse situation here in KC.
I don't know if you've ever been to Fat Cat, but it seems to me we could really use a club like it here in KC. It is in the basement of a building so it is a wide-open space. Most of the space is taken up by pool tables, ping-pong tables, shuffle board games, and chess/checkers tables. The music area is to one side with a modest stage and the seating is old couches arranged around the stage. It's a very relaxed and informal atmosphere; kind of like being in someone's basement rec room (but with great music). I think this informal atmosphere with the combination of a bar, games, and good jazz music would really appeal to younger people. I really love the Blue Room, but it does have the feeling of going to church; very formal. I think that formality can be a big turn-off for younger people.

Happy In Bag said...

That's great news, Bob. We could also use a few more players like Logan...