Thursday, February 16, 2012

Now's the Time: Benny Golson


Saturday's appearance by Benny Golson at the Blue Room qualifies as a potential "kicking-myself concert." That's my name for important gigs I fail to attend. Maybe finances are a concern- Saturday's show is $25. Or maybe there's something else going on- I'd also love to see Bloodstone inducted into the Kansas Music Hall of Fame or George Strait croon "Amarillo By Morning" at the Sprint Center on Saturday. And then there's the pitiful excuse of being too tired to go out. Well, I'll end up kicking myself if I don't make it to the Blue Room on February 25 to see the 83-year-old composer of "Whisper Not." Golson's all-star accompanists are pianist Mike LeDonne, bassist Buster Williams and drummer Carl Allen. (Plastic Sax recently published an excellent Frank R. Hayde interview with Williams.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really now... a "cheap" seat to George Strait is $70 (before the usual rip off "handling" charges). On a relative scale, $25 for Benny Golson is cheap! Besides, think of how many times you must've listened to BG compositions on the Art Blakey "Moanin'" LP. Pay the man!