Friday, August 17, 2012

Kansas City's Jazz Rebels


Exactly when did jazz become polite?  The music would benefit from a hint of hooliganism.  That's why a rough video capturing a brash display by a Kansas City rhythm section at the 2012 Jazz Education Network conference in Kentucky delighted me.  "They wouldn't let us play," the clip's introduction suggests.  "So we waited 'til they finished breaking down the stage and went at it 'til 5 a.m."  Pianist Andrew Ouellette, bassist Dominique Sanders and drummer Ryan Lee are captured tearing through John Coltrane's "Impressions."  I'm pretty sure that's Brian Steever fronting on Lee and Josh Williams stepping up after Floridian Rane Roatta's solo at 3:53.  The person holding the camera talks about the facility's displeased staff.  Sure enough, the musicians are forced to cease as the clip closes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this clip. Just don't try your hooliganism in Russia. Vladimir Putin would not be amused.

Anonymous said...

I love the enthusiasm shown in this clip. As good as these guys are now, I'm sure I will like their playing more in the years to come. But I don't buy into the "jazz has become too polite" bit. For an intense listening experience of a "polite" sort (the term doesn't really fit), I suggest PS readers check out Mary Lou Williams 1975 album "Free Spirits." The depth of feeling she conveys is simply astounding.

Anonymous said...

I don't think Brian is "fronting"....I think he is enjoying Ryan's amazing playing/keeping the bass drum from sliding across the floor. -sam

Matt Leifer said...

Sam, you know Brian, he's pretty cocky.