Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Confirmation: Weekly News & Notes













*The man behind Plastic Sax reviewed Eddie Moore and the Outer Circle’s Kings & Queens for KCUR.

*C.J. Janovy of KCUR took the Charlie Parker Historical Tour on Saturday.  Here’s her report.

*The annual Charlie Parker tribute at Lincoln Cemetery was documented by The Kansas City Star.

*Soul Jazz Fridays, the new live album by Chris Hazelton’s Boogaloo 7, will be released in November.

*Jeff Harshbarger, Matt Otto and Brian Steever participated in a Ghost Notes session for KCUR.

*Marilyn Maye, the cabaret star who will headline the Prairie Village Jazz Festival next week,  received a rave review for a recent performance in New York City.

*The Pitch recommends Steve Lambert’s gig at the Blue Room.

*The Pitch reports that brewers of the Green Room have crafted a new Charlie Parker-themed beer.

*Tweet o’ the Week: Steve Paul- Charlie Parker's daughter, Kim, speaks at 21-sax salute by his grave at Lincoln Cemetery, #kc #jazz (photo)

*Comment o’ the Week: Ed- I was in KC this weekend and caught "parts" of the first set by Peter Schlamb at the Blue Room. I say "parts" because I was surrounded by the noisiest, most inattentive audience to which I've ever been subjected. Outside of the half dozen tables closest to the stage and some of the people along the railing, no one could shut up long enough to hear anything. Most of my jazz listening in the past decades have occurred in St. Louis and Columbia and I can assure you this kind of noise would earn you an invitation to quiet down or leave. I should add that this talk was not of the "participatory" variety of response and encouragement but standard bar babble. What a shame. I wonder if a high cover would make the experience more valuable to these smucks.

(Original image by Plastic Sax.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly with Ed. I've noticed more and more boorish behavior at the Blue Room this past year. Who is the manager of the Blue Room? I wish he or she would take this problem seriously. The noise and chatter has gotten so bad, I've started avoiding the Blue Room in favor of other jazz venues. Fix it!!!