Monday, April 13, 2020

Lockdown Listening

Harsh ambient recordings provide my soundtrack of choice during the lockdown, but I still find time to enjoy jazz.  My ten favorite jazz albums released in the first quarter of 2020 are listed in alphabetical order below.  No two sound alike. 

1. Majid Bekkas- Magic Spirit Quartet
Islamic jazz.
2. Jennifer Curtis and Tyshawn Sorey- Invisible Ritual
Avant-garde fiddle and drum duets.
3. Guitar Elation- Double Live at Green Lady Lounge
Party grooves.  (My review.)
4. Kilter- Axiom
Free jazz collides with doom metal.
5. Hailu Mergia- Yene Mircha
Ethiopian jazz.
6. Pat Metheny- From This Place
Infinite lushness.  (My review.)
7. Roscoe Mitchell- Distant Radio Transmission
Orchestral noise.
8. The Necks- Three
Agitated minimalism.
9. Jeremy Pelt- The Art of Intimacy, Vol. 1
Gorgeous ballads.
10. Oded Tzur- Here Be Dragons
Reticent chamber jazz.

(Original image by Plastic Sax.)

No comments: