Sunday, August 20, 2017

Concert Review: Helen Gillet, Brian Haas and Jessica Lurie at the 1900 Building















I felt like an interloper intruding on a secret society of Kansas City’s intelligentsia at the 1900 Building last Tuesday.  Even though I paid the $25 (!) admission, I feared that I’d be asked to leave at any moment during the performance by cellist and vocalist Helen Gillet, pianist Brian Haas, saxophonist Jessica Lurie and guest artist Mark Southerland.  A mustard stain on my shirt and the 2 Chainz song that blared from my budget car as pulled into the parking lot made it clear that I wasn’t a member of the rarified salon of about 60.  Even so, I appreciated the adventurous musicians’ blend of free jazz, French chansons and folk.  The repertoire ranged from what may have been an interpretation of the Velvet Underground’s “The Black Angel’s Death Song” to the few minutes of serenity documented by Steve Paul.

(Original image by Plastic Sax.)

No comments: