Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Confirmation: Weekly News and Notes

















*NPR offers a preview of Karrin Allyson's next release. She's joined by guitarist Rod Fleeman. I'm partial to the Randy Newman cover.

*Joe Klopus urges the passive jazz audience to frequent clubs and concerts in a thoughtful editorial. I agree with everything Joe writes, but it's telling that fans of country, rock, R&B and blues don't require any such prodding.

*I heard a song from Alice Jenkins' new Almost Christmas release on The Fish Fry, but there's no mention of it at her site.

*Bobby Watson and Brian Kennedy aren't the headliners at the November 10 fundraiser billed as a Buck O'Neil birthday party. That'd be Morris Day and the Time.

*I sure hope Santa brings me the new Roy Haynes retrospective. Has anyone else recorded with both Charlie Parker and Pat Metheny?

*Alaadeen's new release received a brief but positive review in Jazz Times.

*I just discovered that the Lawrence Public Library hosts a jazz film series. Unfortunately, it concludes Friday.

(Original image by Plastic Sax.)

No comments: