Sunday, July 22, 2018

Album Review: Chris Hazelton's Boogaloo 7- The Basement Beat













I mumbled something about New York, Puerto Rico, salsa, soul and the 1960s when Steve Kraske asked me to define boogaloo in an on-air discussion about Chris Hazelton’s Boogaloo 7’s The Basement Beat on KCUR’s Up to Date program three weeks ago.  I cited Cardi B’s current boogaloo-based hit “I Like It” as a relevant entry point for curious listeners.  Vibrant The Basement Beat selections including the celebratory boogaloo “Tru-Galú” and soul-jazz workouts like “Fryin’ Pan” may be several production tweaks removed from the rapper’s summer smash, but they’re every bit as fun as “I Like It.”  Hazelton’s band hosts an album release show at the Black Dolphin on Sunday, July 22.

(Original image captured on the Brooklyn Bridge by Plastic Sax.)

No comments: