Sunday, December 13, 2009
The Ten Best Jazz Shows of 2009
Here's a list of my ten favorite live jazz performances of the year. If you think you think you saw ten better jazz gigs in Kansas City, well, you may be right. I encourage you to post your picks as comments.
1. Esperanza Spalding- The Folly Theater
She's an intriguing jazz bassist today. She'll be a household name by 2019.
2. The People's Liberation Big Band- The Pistol Social Club
I'm down for almost everything this collective does, but their scoring of The Battleship Potemkin blew my mind.
3. Steve Coleman- The Blue Room
So out it was in.
4. Karrin Allyson- Jardine's
She's become a master.
5. Afinidad- The Folly Theater
A fresh approach.
6. The Blue Note 7- The Gem Theater
The all-stars were astounding.
7. Tony Bennett- The Midland Theater
The legend was backed by a jazz band.
8. Logan Richardson- Jardine's
9. The Hearts of Darkness- Crosstown Station
I wrote that the ensemble conveys "the spirit, if not the sound, of Kansas City's heyday."
10.Black House Improvisors' Collective- City Center Plaza
Fun, exciting and unrestrained.
(Original image of drummers Jeff Hamilton and Tommy Ruskin by Plastic Sax.)