Sunday, January 29, 2012

Album Review: Mille and Mike Live


















Millie Edwards has been rewarded with standing ovations many of the times I've seen her perform in churches and in concert settings. She's a true audience-pleaser. People hearing her for the first time are invariably astounded that such a gigantic voice can emanate from such a diminutive person.

Edwards' brassy approach- she sounds like Liza Minnelli with a hint of Mahalia Jackson thrown into the mix- is more Broadway than Birdland. While I don't particularly care for her style, my bias didn't prevent me from giving CD versions of the 2011 release Mille and Mike Live to friends and family last Christmas. I know plenty of people who enjoy Edwards' renditions of familiar material like "Sweet Home Chicago," "Someone To Watch Over Me" and "I've Got You Under My Skin."

When I listen to the live recording I prefer to focus on the astoundingly versatile pianist Michael Pagan. He can play stride, show tunes and blues with equal adroitness. Edwards and Pagan perform every Monday at The Phoenix. Here's live footage of the duo shot at Jardine's in 2010.

(Original image by Plastic Sax.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you really did your homework on this one.

Anonymous said...

Millie Edwards never phones it in and is always on. Whether you like or style or not she never has a bad night or day for that matter. Impeccable sense of pitch, no Diva attitude. A consummate professional in every regard.

Watch and learn, young singers.